Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Trials as a mother.

So yesterday I was looking through my purse to see how much money I had left so that I could grab some things from the store. Well I noticed that $5 was missing. I immediately thought that Sol took it for his lunch, but then a feeling came over me that it wasn't him, it was Serena. I knew why. She came into the living room and had a $5 bill in her hand. I asked her where she got it and she said from her friend. They made a bet and she won. I was too consumed with what I was doing and let it go. That's where I went wrong. I should've probed into it more, but I didn't. Well I confronted her in the kitchen that same day. First I asked Sol to make sure, and then I asked Serena. She flat out lied to my face. When I told her that I would call the school tomorrow and ask the girl if she gave her money, she still stood her ground. I said "Serena are you being honest with me?" She said, "yes mommy I promise." That nearly killed me. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was lying. I then said, "don't make promises you can't keep." She broke down and said, "what is my punishment if I did take it?" Wow, she really wanted to know her punishment before she told the truth. Hello, does she not know that stealing and lying are wrong. I said there is no punishment if you didn't do it, but if you did, you will have to pay the money back. She then admitted that she took it. She said she took it because she couldn't find her money and just thought we shared. I said to her, "did you ask me where your money was, so that I could remind you that we moved it?" She just nodded her head no. I called my husband into the room and had all the kids go downstairs so that we could deal with this. I was shocked that she had no remorse in her eyes, or even tears. She just sat there cold and lost. I became worried that she didn't UNDERSTAND that what she did was wrong. I mean we teach our kids to Choose The Right, but are we really teaching them what that means. My husband said just slap her and she'll learn her lesson and that's when she started crying. I said no, that is too easy, I need her to understand and learn from her mistakes. In the end I told her that she was committing criminal acts and so her punishment will be that in a way. She will pay back restitution for what she did and she will not be able to go anywhere or talk to anyone before and after school. So she had to clean the windows and the blinds in the whole house and was grounded for a day. I needed her punishment to reflect her mistake in a way. I then became numb for the rest of the day. I am so worried about her. I prayed right after that ordeal and then basically cried myself to sleep as I was praying for her again. I can see now, why the Lord chose to put me into Young Women's. He is preparing me for what's yet to come. I pray that Serena learns from her mistakes now, rather than later. I love her so much and it just hurts to know that she is crying out for my attention in a negative way. I asked the Lord to help me be a better mother to her and the rest of my children. I need them to know that I LOVE them.
Part two of this post will come later. I had an answer to my prayers and I'll write about it when I have more time.

7 comments:

  1. wow Cia, you have me at tears, sounds like me when I was little, and you are right, hitting her would be too easy! I love your faith in the lord. Serena is in the best of hands! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good, it was hard to do! I did the same thing as a kid. I think we all we all do. My mom made me take back this makeup I took from the store, pay for it, say I was sorry and I couldn't go to the store for a month. You have to let the punishment reflect what was done but, don't forget like it says in the scriptures, when you reprimand someone show them more love afterwards. (D&C 121) Spankings never worked with me and they don't work for alot of kids, because they don't really understand what they did was wrong. talking to them is hard but, they learn to understand. I was more sad when dad and mom said I can't trust you, I'd take a spank over that anyday. Spank me, then its over, I don't have to deal with the guilt, remorse or repentance. That's the greatest gift you can give your kids, Teach them faith, and repentance, that's why its the first principles of the gospel, we need to do it and build, practice it and live it. Good luck and remember to show forth more love, she'll always remember that no matter what dad and mom love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww Cia, I wanna slap Serena for you! lmbo jk hahah I totally agree with Tala she is in good hands. And Trish you gave some awesome advice! thanks even I learned from your advice :) I will call you tomorrow Cia, I love ya and I know you will make things right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls. It's makes me feel good to hear other peoples opinions and stories of how to deal with the situations that I'm going through. Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ehh, you're welcome. I have LOTS of experience in getting spanked. Believe it or not we have never spanked Sierra. Robert has never raised a hand to her like that. She's a great kid. She needs discipline, we all do. Don't get us wrong, I set her straight and I tell her at times, today just might be the first day you get spanked from us. Her mother did that but, she didn't know what she did wrong. With Robert he had a difficult childhood and wanted his kids to be better. He tries to be better than his parents and he's a spectacular dad. But, he also remembers that he wants to treat Sierra, the way he wanted to be treated. Its like treating them like they are little adults and they will respond like they are. I think alot of the time we want to spank and get it over with and it makes us feel good we "dealt" with it, when in all reality the spankings usually satisfy the parents and leave the kids wondering exactly what they did wrong. Patience and time... you're doing it perfectly!

    May 13, 2010 9:50 AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so wise Trish. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me, I truely appreciate and learn from them!

    ReplyDelete