Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I love the holidays. I Christmas shop all year long and stash it all over my house. I become obsessed with QVC (ask my family, I'm constantly watching it) because I can shop through all the people who shop with them and I want to be there, sad I know. I put my tree up the first week of November. If today wasn't Sunday, it probably would be up already. My husband loves the holidays too, but he is a typical man and shops Christmas Eve. He loves the rush of things and the holiday feeling out in the stores. I on the other hand want everything done with by December, so that I can go out to all the sights, such as the Temple lights, a sing along, sledding, and just spending time with my kids and family. I like to plan Christmas months in advance and I know my family is sooo not thinking about it, but I don't care, I am...LOL!
The spirit of love and joy during the holidays is what I wish I could feel in the world year round. Maybe that's why I "act" like it's Christmas year round, because I want to feel that special feeling. We have a tradition that we do as a family every Christmas. My kids have a piggy bank that they put any money they find in all year long. In December we take them to pick a child off the Giving Tree and buy them a gift. We've done this for 3 years now. It's a humbling feeling to see my kids want to give to someone in need. They really think long and hard as to what to get "their" child. We're seriously at the store for over an hour just picking a gift. It's a fun tradition.
What are some of your traditions? Or what do you think is a good one for me to start with my family?

7 comments:

  1. awww this is so true people!!! she is the ice princess of christmas :) i love that tradition u do w/ ur kids. u should spend a christmas with the homeless one year & serve them by feeding em. i would love to do that. ne way can't wait 4 christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cia, I can't stop laughing at Gabbys face on ur blog!! LMBO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you have started blogging more, you've given me more reading materials for my late nights when I can't sleep. (lol). Now if only I can follow your example. =)

    A tradition that Sione & I have started for our family.(This would be our 4th year I think) is we pick a family in our ward (by asking our bishop to give us a family he thinks is in need for a Christmas) or within our own immediate/extended family. We then just buy gifts for the kids and get the parents a gift card to do food shopping for their family and either movie tickets or a restaurant gift card to treat themselves. (Because most likely that would be their only gift). We keep it totally annonymous, either have the bishop take it or if its a family relative we take it while they are not home. I love this tradition because it keeps me grateful for everything that I have. (I know this is turning into a novel but I'm in the mood to type. lol) We only do 3 gifts for our kids. An idea I got from our awesome friend Luisa. Because that is what Jesus received. we do 1 gift that they really need. 1 that they want and 1 spiritual gift. (scriptures, things to keep them quiet during sacrament). It works great. They don't need more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyni that is awesome!! I love that idea, I am gonna onlee get my kids 3 gifts too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your traditions Lyni. The three gifts are such a humbling perspective to the Christmas holiday. Thank you. I don't remember Isa talking about that, maybe I just tuned her out...LOL j/k love you Isa. I'm gonna have to start that. Not this year though, it's too late. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR TOO! I LOVE YOUR NEW TRADITION I REMEMBER YOU SHARING YOUR LIL TRADITION DURING YOUR TESTIOMONY LAST DEC AND I TRIED TO COPY YOU BUT I ENDED UP NEEDING THE PIGGY BANK FOR GAS.. I KNOW HOW SELFISH....LOL LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it's right around the corner.. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about Christmas this year.. only for Toa.. :) IT came really fast this year... You're so funny with your QVC! haha

    ReplyDelete